Thursday, November 21, 2013

Cheerio Turkey - Integrating Math and Sight Words With Art

Sometimes we keep subjects separate, but I like finding ways to integrate the things we're doing/studying with other activities to keep things interesting and fun for the little cub.


Since Thanksgiving is next week, I decided it was time to do a hand drawn turkey project and had seen one where they use Frootloops to make it more colorful.  We only had cheerios, but I had a feeling we could make them stand out.  Instead of an art project we turned it into a sight words and addition project as well.  

I put her sight words cards next to the turkey with one cheerio on each.  When she could tell me the word, she could take the cheerio and glue it in place.

When we ran out of sight word cards, we switched to some addition cards, and after she could add them up and tell me the number, she got to take that number of cheerios and glue them down.  She had a lot of fun.
After the glue had dried, we colored the tops with markers and used gold and silver glitter glue (dollar store) to give them some shine.

It took a little longer than a normal art project, but we had fun with it and made math and sight words fun in the process, (well, at least a different fun than what we normally do with math and sight words).





Questions?  Comments?  Do you mix art or other fun activities with subjects like math and reading?  Let me know in a comment below.  I love hearing your ideas!

Don't forget to check us out on Pinterest!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea, especially combining the subjects! I usually get wrapped up in doing one subject at a time but this makes doing multiple things easier. Def something to think about!

    ReplyDelete